Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tuck Scarf - My own design



So my short holiday vacation was busy and wonderful. I was able to take some time to visit with my brother Troy, and spend some time exploring the beauties of South Western PA.

During some of my free time, I also started my attempt to create an even better Tuck Scarf.

"A what?," you may ask. A Tuck Scarf is something (I think) I've invented. To the right you can see my crocheted version (directions will follow later on).

I found that my original design had a few flaws, but I think I've made the proper corrections to now publish directions. Therefore, my directions for the knitted version are as follows...

Knitted version
Wool-Ease, Thick and Quick
Size 10 needles
No gauge (what a surprise!)

1. Cast on 55 stitches.

2 Work in garter stitch for 17 rows.


3. Bind off and use yarn on bottom corner to pick-up* stitches along the bottom edge. You are now creating the "tuck pocket" portion of the scarf. (Shown in contrasting yarn).

*To pick-up stitches, poke needle through side of last stitch made. Treat this and the following stitches as stockinette (knit one row, purl one row) stitches. Proceed to yarn over and to create first stitch. Continue in picking up stitches this way long the whole of the bottom edge. (I had 17 rows of garter stitches but only pick-up 16 stitches).











5. (Here is how you gauge yourself) Create the "tuck pocket" a perpendicular knitted portion till it is as long as your main scarf is wide (the garter stitch portion of the scarf). I had 15 rows of stockinette, but you may need fewer or more depending on your own knitting gauge.

6. Turn your stitching by purling one row.

7. Continue knitting the final portion of the "tuck pocket." You can choose a lace pattern or change colors for this portion. This portion of the scarf will be the most visible of the piece, so you can show off a little.


8. With the help of the purl row (the new bottom of the scarf), fold the "tuck pocket" over till the unfinished row meets the original cast-on edge. Here you will pick-up and cast-off at the same time*.

* Pick-up/Cast-off: (work one row above the original pick-up row) Pick-up a piece of garter stitch and knit that stitch with one stitch already on the right needle. Move this new stitch to the left needle. Pick-up a piece of yarn from the next garter stitch row and knit together with next stitch already on the needle. Move to left needle. Cast-off by sliding stitch two over stitch one one on left needle. Continue to pick-up and cast-off until all of the stitches are off the needles.


9. Weave in yarn tale with the help of crochet hook (or a huge yarn needle).

10. Now you can pull the un-adorned end of the scarf through the tuck pocket...Ta-da!


1 comment: